Get Doncaster Moving aims to help Doncaster's communities become healthier and more vibrant, by increasing participation in physical activity and sport. Built upon Team Doncaster's ethos of collaboration, progress, and positivity; Get Doncaster Moving is not one single organisation or project, it is:
- The name of the borough's strategy, 'Get Doncaster Moving'
- A physical activity programme within the 'Doncaster Growing Together' borough strategy, that will be delivered between 2017-2021
- A network of public, private and voluntary sector organisations working together to 'Get Doncaster Moving'
- A borough-wide campaign to #GetDoncasterMoving
Please browse the website to find out more about the strategy, programme and how you can get involved.
"Healthy and vibrant communities through physical activity and sport"
We recognise that we live, work and play in a large number of small communities across the borough. It is these communities where opportunities to be active will be created and maintained and it is our role to support them to do so.
Throughout our work we need to be mindful that physical activity and sport contributes to healthier individuals within communities. But it is more than just health. Physical activity and sport can and should be fun and enjoyable, often bringing people together, with individuals achieving their own aspirations. This all adds to the vibrancy and energy of a place.
The Get Doncaster Moving Programme is overseen by the Get Doncaster Moving Programme Board, and has five themes:
The programme will play a significant part in accelerating the delivery of the physical activity and sport strategy; aiming to develop healthy and vibrant communities by increasing participation in physical activity and sport.
It takes its lead from the Get Doncaster Moving Strategy, prioritising:
- Inactive people
- People on low incomes
- Disabled people and people with a long-term limiting illness
- Keeping children and young people active
- Communities across the borough