About Get Doncaster Moving
Get Doncaster Moving supports Doncaster's communities to be physically active, healthy and vibrant. It's a partnership of people, groups, organisations and businesses who work together on these shared goals. There is a small central team, based within Doncaster Council, who help to co-ordinate this work on behalf of the partnership.
What we're doing
In December 2017 we were one of 12 areas awarded Local Delivery Pilot (LDP) status from Sport England, to test new ways to increase activity levels within Doncaster. This has supported us to achieve great things for Doncaster, but our work is only just beginning! Here's a flavour of what we do:
• We run campaigns to encourage residents to #GetDoncasterMoving
• We provide information, advice and guidance to those residents who are looking to get active
• We support sports clubs and groups
• We fund residents and groups to test ideas in their communities that look to increase activity levels through our active communities grant
• We work closely with stakeholders to influence policy and decisions which are connected to breaking down the barriers that people face to being physically active
• We work closely with communities and developed a Resident's Panel to enable us to gain valuable feedback on how people think and feel about being active and the barriers facing them to be more active
• We part-fund roles within the Well Doncaster team to ensure that Doncaster's least active communities have support to help them to be active and healthy
• We undertake valuable research which helps gain valuable insight to influence positive change in Doncaster and at a regional and national level.
What we're working towards
Being active is not just good for you physically, it has the power to do so much more – it can, for example, help prevent or manage medical conditions, reduce anxiety or stress, improve a person's confidence or self-esteem, or bring people from diverse backgrounds together.
People in Doncaster have the right to be able to walk safely to the shops; play in the park; cycle to work; have access to good quality leisure centres; and be in walking distance from local and affordable activities. We want everybody to play their part in activating those rights.
We will continue to recognise and celebrate the uniqueness of Doncaster's many communities and work closely with them - and the many others who have a role to play - to create opportunities to be active, as well as working with decision makers to influence and create opportunities for residents to be physically active.
Healthy, vibrant communities through movement, physical activity and sport.