Get Doncaster Moving work very closely with the Well Doncaster team, who support people and communities across Doncaster to improve their physical and mental health and wellbeing.
Across Doncaster there are Well Doncaster Officers dedicated to supporting people and communities to become more active, offering information, advice and guidance.
Get Doncaster Moving and Well Doncaster have recently introduced local Community Connectors to support residents in Bentley, Wheatley and Intake, Balby, and Stainforth to get out and about more where they live. They provide information on existing opportunities available to residents in their area and also encourage the community to create more opportunities to support people to have a healthy and active lifestyle.
Active Communities Grants
Together, Get Doncaster Moving and the Well Doncaster team have created a fund called 'Active Communities Grants' which is available to local residents, groups and organisations to fund ideas that help people get out and about more, and be active where they live. Grants of up to £500 are available.
We're open to fresh ideas! What's important is that your idea supports Doncaster communities to become places where being active is attractive and accessible.
Read about Conisbrough Forward, a rambling group who was awarded an Active Communities Grant, and what it meant for them: Get Doncaster Moving awards 50th Active Communities Grant to rambling group.
The grants can support communities to:
- Reduce social isolation
- Improve mental and physical wellbeing
- Improve the use of green space
- Raise aspirations for children, young people and adults
- Support people to learn and develop their interests
- Tackle drug and alcohol misuse
- Improve the local economy
- Reduce crime and anti-social behaviour
- Improve street safety for walking and cycling
Examples of what could be funded:
Some examples are listed below, however this is not an exhaustive list and we are keen to hear about different, bold and innovative ways in which the funding may be used:
- Events, or activities at events
- Materials and/or tools for developing community assets
- Informal and/or formal training to develop people's skills
- Mentoring and support for volunteers or staff
- Specialist expertise to help develop an idea or deliver a project
- Marketing and communication activities
The fund is open to:
- Not-for profit voluntary or community organisations
- Registered charities
- Not-for profit company, community interest company or social enterprise
- Individuals or informal groups
How to apply:
It is important to read the Information Pack below.
Following this, you can either contact the Well Doncaster Officer in your area for further support and guidance (their contact details can be found below) or you can complete the online application form.