Rugby League World Cup
Doncaster is delighted to host three fixtures of the Rugby League World Cup 2021 and bring top class international rugby league to South Yorkshire, the tournament was postponed in 2021 due to Covid-19 and will now be held between Saturday 15 October and Saturday 19 November 2022.
Doncaster's three fixtures and revised dates are confirmed as:
- France vs Greece (men's) - 17th October 2022
- Samoa vs Greece (men's)- 23rd October 2022
- Papua New Guinea vs Wales (men's) - 31st October 2022
For all the latest ticket information, head to RLWC2021 Tickets
You can also keep up to date on local information about the Rugby League World Cup on the Visit Doncaster website.
What's more, we'll be hosting the Samoan team during the tournament - right here in Doncaster!
Set to be the biggest and best Rugby League World Cup in history, the inspirational moments of England 2021 will capture the imagination of all.
The Rugby League World Cup has been the pinnacle of International Rugby League since 1954. Now contested every four years, with a series of qualification tournaments leading up to it, the RLWC is open to all full and affiliate members of the Rugby League International Federation (RLIF).
The RLWC2021 tournament, for the first time, will see the Men's, Women's and Wheelchair competitions staged in a single, celebratory event, culminating in an epic Finals Weekend to crown the champions of each. The host country is England and Doncaster will host three group stage matches at the home of Doncaster Rugby League Club - The Eco-Power Stadium.
More teams than ever will compete to be crowned Rugby League World Cup Champions with four pools of four nations competing in up to 14 stadia.
Head to Rugby League World Cup 2021 to find out the latest news and ticket information.
For ticket information please visit: www.tickets.rlwc2021.com
Rugby League World Cup 2021 Community Microgrant
As part of the borough wide Get Doncaster Moving Programme, and to celebrate the town's role in hosting the Rugby League World Cup 2021, this fund has been introduced as part of a programme of activities allowing Doncaster to promote Rugby League as a sport and utilise the buzz from the event to get people to be more physically active.
The Microgrant has been developed to offer grants of up to £200 to eligible groups / networks / organisations within the borough of Doncaster.
These grants are being offered to facilitate a 'festival atmosphere' and encourage people to be more active in the Borough around the Rugby League World Cup 2021.
- You do not need to be a formal, constituted group to be eligible
- Businesses / companies and Schools are not eligible to apply
- Monies from the fund will not be paid directly, items/services will be purchased by DMBC on behalf of successful applicants (and collection arranged)
The deadline for applications is Friday 26th August 2022. There is a limit to the number of applications the funding can support and therefore we recommend ensuring applications are submitted as soon as possible in case of high demand.
What can the fund be used for?
DMBC are willing to provide funding for projects that can demonstrate a contribution to increasing levels of physical activity and promoting engagement in the sport of Rugby League in local communities of Doncaster. This may include:
- Leading Rugby League based activities to engage communities
- Running Sports or Physical activity sessions
- Using banners, bunting and/or flags to decorate Communities
- Hosting a 'viewing hub' perhaps providing:
a) Respite for vulnerable residents
b) Light refreshments
c) 'Big screen' footage of the event
d) Physical activity opportunities or promotion
We are particularly interested in (although not exclusively) applications that:
- Demonstrate an ability to sustain engagement following the initial support provided for the event; this may relate to physical activity/sport and/or volunteering
- Applications which can evidence "match funding", where the applicant will match funds requested to purchase similar or different items for their event / activity.
The Rugby League World Cup 2021 Community Microgrant will not pay for:
- Activities promoting religious or political beliefs
- Professional fundraisers
- Any activities outside of the borough of Doncaster
- Holidays, prizes or food (other than light refreshments)
- Goods or services that have already been bought or ordered
- Volunteer expenses
Points for consideration before applying for a microgrant
- Think carefully about the aims of the project to ensure that they are realistic.
- Plan ahead – you need to be aware that the fund may take up to 2 weeks to process.
- Apply early – Please be aware there is a limit to the amount of applications that the funding will be able to support and therefore we recommend submitting applications as early as possible in case of high demand and to avoid disappointment.
- Working in partnership and through networks can often strengthen the support given to the group/network/organisation.
- Include supporting evidence where you feel it would strengthen the application.
- It must be demonstrated that the project represents good value for money.
- The breakdown of costs for the items needs to be accurate and include postage and packaging.
- Following the event, DMBC will require successful applicants to complete monitoring forms and engage in research work measuring the benefits of the scheme.
- The above guidance information should not be considered as exhaustive and if you are unsure of your project's eligibility, or would like clarification, please contact Darren Simpson on 01302 737721 or RLWC@doncaster.gov.uk